Tuesday, July 23, 2013

B's Top 5 Summer Loves


1/ Orange Hues

My whole entire life, I have hated the color orange in all its shades. Maybe it is because I just moved to the Netherlands and adopted the national color, but all of a sudden, I'm all about orange! I'm loving pops of orange in otherwise monochrome outfits, with a belt, a beanie, a piece of jewelry or a funky bag. Especially paired with brown/khaki tones, military print, or cream/off white colors and tanned skin, orange is such a summery statement color to bring fun and sun to every outfit. I'm a converted orange lover, guys! Bring it on, neon, tangerine, coral, apricot... I love them all. Here a selection of a few of this summer's most beautiful orange statement pieces. Links for the shops included above!

2/ Shift Dresses



                    Boutique by Jaeger Jacquard Shift Dress | Pepe Jeans Floral Shift Dress |

Now, I do realize that for a large-busted girl like me, shift dresses are not ideal/flattering. But it's summer and the heat is overwhelming, so the floaty shift-dress-cut is welcome and refreshing to wear. I love the sweater-type shift dresses in soft colors (especially in white and cream), or some of the more fancy ones, with bold colors, layers of sheer material, crazy prints and silky materials. After buying the previously mentioned Monki Sweater dress, I've decided that even I can embrace that style. You can make the shift dress look less boxy by synching it in at the waist with a beautiful skinny belt, too! Not ideal for curvy girls? Maybe, but I can't help but love the shift dress with a strappy sandal and a small bag, a bold lip color and otherwise minimal accessories. Perfect for a summer evening out!

3/ Bold Lips

          Candy Yum Yum  | Rebel  | Lady Danger  | Girl About Town | Morange  | Saint Germain

Lately, I've been wearing very simple and nude-y make up on my eyes (usually: MAC eyeshadow in "Brulé" with a thin line of black liquid eyeliner and mascara only on my top lashes), so for evenings out I've been experimenting with a few bolder lipsticks. Though I do like other lipstick brands too, my favorite trend this summer are bold lip colors, and we all know that MAC are the best when it comes to bold, daring and very pigmented lipsticks. My apologies for the lack of diversity, but here are my top lipstick colors for this summer (lighter colors during the day, darker shades for the night) - all by MAC. Though I will always love my all time classic red shades, this summer I am really into deeper purples, fresh coral tones and candy pink colors, which all go great with a nude eye and a bit of a tan.

4/ Cut-Out Boots

                 Senso Quimat Boots  |  ASOS After All Boots   Jeffrey Campbell Everly Boots


I know, I know - this trend has been around forever and I am totally late to the party. I've loved the cut-out boot designs from the first minute, but only recently brought myself to invest into a slightly pricier pair (the Asos After All Boots in black leather). Even though they are boots, I find them to be a staple piece in summer. They are perfect for festivals, traveling and city-trips and look amazing paired with a floaty dress and girly prints. I'm glad to know I'll be able to take mine into autumn as they'll make a great seasonal transition piece. Definitely worth every penny. Personally, I'm not that big a fan of the chunkier cut-out boots à la Jeffrey Campbell Coltranes, but I do love the more elegant versions (like the JC Everly Boot). Here are my favorite picks for this cut-out boot trend. Which ones do you have?

5/ White and Cream Shades



    Broderie Cami | Free People Dress | Crochet Midi Skirt | Sheer Panel Dress | Color Block Trousers

For the longest time I thought that the only color in the world that suits me is black. Recently I've been trying to open up a little and try the one or other more daring color (or, like in this case, non-color). At the moment, besides coral tones, I am really loving nude, white and cream shades which are fresh and summery. You can go bold in a black and white monochrome outfit (I love those white trousers with a black crop top and heeled sandals) or more girly in a cream crocheted dress or skirt and dainty jewelry. I love the simplicity of a white top with jeans, too. These colors are great to pair with extravagant statement jewelry or a pop-color lipstick. My favorite: this super minimal sheer panel mini dress.

So, that's basically my favorite fashion trends for this summer. Many of these are big steps for me to take because they're far out of my comfort zone, but they're gorgeous and worth every bit of courage and money ;) I'd love to hear what you've been loving and wearing so far this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment