Sunday, July 21, 2013

Current Obsession: MONKI


Morning everyone!

 Today I thought I would do a little review of one of my current clothing brand obsessions.  Lately, I've been slightly bored with the fashion labels I usually shop from (I'm not a fan of the current photographic print floral designs, nor of the digital prints, and I'm not too fond of the whole girly floaty lace thing in pastel colors either because, well, it's not the most flattering for a girl like me!). So I've been on the look-out for an affordable brand that would make me swoon again, and I sure have found it. Via Sammi from beautycrush I've been aware of the swedish label Monki for a while, but hadn't thought of buying anything until I recently saw that ASOS started stocking some of their new collection. All I can say is: love at first sight. ASOS so far features about 35-40 items. Some of their collection does also follow the photographic / floral / digital print trend (though it's not my cup of tea, they succeed beautifully at it!). What really made my heart beat faster are the clean-cut, simple, minimal and monochrome designs. Geometric cuts, simple lines, floaty materials in black, white, cream and grey. I immediately ordered their cream/white 3/4 length sleeve jumper dress because I literally couldn't hold back - even though I was really worried that a white short boxy dress wouldn't be the best choice for my body shape.

                   

Upon opening my ASOS package I fell moooore in love. All in all, it's the perfect casual but classy summer dress. It's a bit floaty and short for a breezy freshness during the heat. It's white to keep the sun away and make your tan look darker, and the material is soft and smooth yet thick enough to warm you up on a cooler evening if you throw on a cardigan. Shockingly enough, I didn't even feel like it is too inappropriate and unflattering for my size/shape (I vary between a size 12/14).


Since falling in love with the dress, I have been browsing the Monki Online Shop and their ASOS collection every day, and there's two dozen items in my cart at all times. Monki also happens to have a super amazing sale at the moment, with prices ranging from 2/4€ for some accessories to about 10/15€ for tops and dresses. My fingers are itching - I just want to have it all! Since Monki shops are hard to come by in a lot of places in Europe, I'm incredibly excited to be heading to Helsinki in a couple of weeks to hit their two finnish stores. Let's hope I don't return with a completely empty bank account though! I was even so impatient that I just ordered their black foldover faux leather bag - great size, beautiful and slick design, absolutely perfect for traveling to Helsinki ;) - and at such a great price, too!

                     



A lovechild of the brands H&M and Cheap Monday, Monki offers typically scandinavian coolness and minimalism for really affordable prices. The quality is great, the designs meet my tastes to 100% and are perfect for both minimalists and individualists. The plain, well-cut dresses and tops offer a perfect canvas for big statement jewelry, and the prints bring a pop of color or a splash of humor to your outfit. Basically: I can't stop raving. My only advice: be careful, because their sizing is slightly odd, so that their size M for example equals a UK 14/16, so make sure to size down and check their sizing charts so you don't float in your top! I will definitely let you know what made its way into my wardrobe when I get back from Finland! Have you got any experiences with the label? What do you think?


Shop Monki here and here.

1 comment:

  1. Hello.
    I was wondering if you're satisfied with the monki foldover bag? Did it age well? Is it as amazing as it looks?

    XO

    ReplyDelete